Friday, September 12, 2008

Anxious

I'm feeling anxious today. We live in Texas, not near the coast, but we'll get rain & wind, possibly up to 60 mph. We live in a 100 year old house. I have mixed feelings about that. Yes, it's 100 years old - it's survived other bad storms. Some of the windows still have the original glass. Well, I'm not sure if it's really original, but it's old, thick glass.

We have lots of big trees around our house. I'm nervous that one of them will blow over onto our house or send limbs flying around doing damage.

We don't have any interior rooms. All of the rooms, bathrooms included, have windows. For my peace of mind, Ethan will sleep in our room tonight. DH's office is on our property & it's on a concrete foundation, not pier & beam. It has 2 small windows, so if need be, we can hide out in there for a while.

I watched the damage that Katrina did on the TV. I know we're not in that situation. I remember feeling depressed after watching it. I've tried to prepare as best we can - water, canned food, batteries & such.

I've lived in Texas all my life, and this is the first time I recall feeling so anxious. What has changed? I'm a Mommy now. I can't bear the thought of anything happening to Ethan or to DH or myself. We have to take care of him.

BTW - I think I found what to write inside the greeting cards - what do you think?

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.
- Irish Proverb"

7 comments:

Ya Chun said...

Lovely quote.

I hope you weather the storm safe and sound, with minimum damage to your property.

Monica H said...

I hope the storm is kind to your home and nothing (including you!) is damamged.

I think this quote is perfect. I was reading another blog the other day and she posted song lyrics from Sting. One of the lyrics really stuck with me: "rain will wash the stains away, but something in our minds will always stay".

Your quote reminds me of this. Take care.

Monica H said...

DId you get my email the other day with the poem?

Kristi said...

Yes, thank you!!

Kristi said...

We've received maybe 1.5 inches of rain & some strong gusts of wind, but no damage. Our electricity was out from 6:30 to 7:30am, the city fixed it quickly.

We have family members around the Houston area who are getting lots of wind & rain, sitting in the dark. Hope this is over soon for their sake.

mrsmuelly said...

In TX too...not as bad as we thought. Hope it was okay for you too.

I love the quote. And I think it's a lovely way to remember.

Anonymous said...

I'm just now getting caught up on all the blogs.......
I'm glad to hear that ya'll are safe. I thought for sure you would be hit really hard. I, too, am VERY protective now. Think it does have something to do with being a mom.
I LOVE the quote you put in the cards. I may have to "borrow" it and put it in a frame.
Oh, and Monica & I want to take a road trip to come and visit!