Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christ.m@s c@rds

Most of us probably chose cards that represent us at that moment. Do we want a traditional image? comical? A photo of the family? Since losing Sara, I am more aware of my recipients. What are they feeling this holiday season?

The first Christmas after losing Sara, I choose a serene angel with a simple quote inside. I don't have any left, but I remember thinking that they were appropriate coming from grieving parents. The following year, I made cards. The cover said "JOY" with Ethan's picture in the "O". Since then, I have used pictures of Ethan for our cards.

I try to send a different card to friends and family members who may be hurting during the holidays. My best friend lost her step-father at the end of September. I wanted to send a Thanksgiving card but couldn't find one with an appropriate sentiment. So I ended up sending a Thinking of You card. Last year I wanted to send a few Christmas cards to families who had a loss during the year. I went to the local H@llm@rk store and looked over the individual cards. Everything was cheerful, not appropriate. Even the blank cards didn't have appropriate images. I found at least 3 cards appropriate for a niece and her significant other, nothing that seemed appropriate to send a loved one who was hurting at Christmas, struggling with being a part of Christmas, but don't want to be overlooked either.

I finally found a small 6 pack of cards with an angel and a lamb. The sentiment wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but close enough. I hope other stores carry appropriate cards, maybe just my location didn't carry a good selection. I'll be ending over to the card shop in a few days, hoping I can find a card that fits the situation.

3 comments:

Ya Chun said...

:(

have you tried online?

blue mountain arts always has nice sentiments''maybe even h@llm@rk online

or make for those few? craft stores sells prefolded cards

Kristi said...

I'm hoping it was just my location b/c I bought some cards at H@llm@rk when I lived in Austin.

My MIL makes cards, I may ask her to make some for me.

I have these dreams of grandeur to make 50+ cards, but I know I would be overwhelmed to do that. I tried to get started this years. Twice I went to the craft store & bought supplies, only to get them home & realize it was wrong - bought flat cards, not folded, etc...

Monica H said...

I think making them would be nice. Then they'd be perfect.