Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Facts of Life

"You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life."

In the last few weeks, while poking around in gift/antique shops, I've come across 2 books about talking to children about grief & death. I didn't buy either of them. I know at some point we'll have that talk with Ethan. Already I talk about Sara to him, I point out her picture and just refer to her, so he's used to hearing her name. Most parents dread the "Where do babies come from?" question. We're facing the "Why do babies die? question. I don't have an answer to that, how am I supposed to explain to a child?

2 comments:

Monica H said...

I wish I had an answer for that. But a fellow blogger just blogged on this topic, and she recommended a book. You can visit her here:

http://froggy-baby.blogspot.com/2008/07/someone-came-before-you.html

Anonymous said...

I often talk to Cameron about Lucas. He looks at a shelf I have beside my bed that has Lucas' stuff on it, as if studying it. I always tell him that is his big brother Lucas'.

What I don't like is when people ask me if we are just going to have the 2 kids (Justin and Cameron). I immediately correct them and tell them "I have three children, and yes, we are done"